GOOD DAY FOR: Drawing the Trump card, after Ed McMahon was bailed out by The Donald, who agreed to buy McMahon’s nearly foreclosed-upon Beverly Hills home and let him and his wife continue to live there. “I don’t know the man, but I grew up watching him on TV,” Trump said. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: ’80s nostalgia, after U.S. drivers spent more on gas than cars in May and June, for the first time since 1982. Gas made up 4.4 percent of U.S. spending in June, versus 3.9 percent for autos and auto parts, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis said. Cars have been getting cheaper, while gas prices are “hugely higher,” said Comerica Bank chief economist Dana Johnson. “The two trends have crossed.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How science can help you survive scary movies
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
Subscribe to the Week