OOD DAY FOR: Drawing the Trump card, after Ed McMahon was bailed out by The Donald, who agreed to buy McMahon’s nearly foreclosed-upon Beverly Hills home and let him and his wife continue to live there. “I don’t know the man, but I grew up watching him on TV,” Trump said. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: ’80s nostalgia, after U.S. drivers spent more on gas than cars in May and June, for the first time since 1982. Gas made up 4.4 percent of U.S. spending in June, versus 3.9 percent for autos and auto parts, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis said. Cars have been getting cheaper, while gas prices are “hugely higher,” said Comerica Bank chief economist Dana Johnson. “The two trends have crossed.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week