GOOD DAY FOR: Drawing the Trump card, after Ed McMahon was bailed out by The Donald, who agreed to buy McMahon’s nearly foreclosed-upon Beverly Hills home and let him and his wife continue to live there. “I don’t know the man, but I grew up watching him on TV,” Trump said. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: ’80s nostalgia, after U.S. drivers spent more on gas than cars in May and June, for the first time since 1982. Gas made up 4.4 percent of U.S. spending in June, versus 3.9 percent for autos and auto parts, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis said. Cars have been getting cheaper, while gas prices are “hugely higher,” said Comerica Bank chief economist Dana Johnson. “The two trends have crossed.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week