GOOD DAY FOR: Drawing the Trump card, after Ed McMahon was bailed out by The Donald, who agreed to buy McMahon’s nearly foreclosed-upon Beverly Hills home and let him and his wife continue to live there. “I don’t know the man, but I grew up watching him on TV,” Trump said. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: ’80s nostalgia, after U.S. drivers spent more on gas than cars in May and June, for the first time since 1982. Gas made up 4.4 percent of U.S. spending in June, versus 3.9 percent for autos and auto parts, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis said. Cars have been getting cheaper, while gas prices are “hugely higher,” said Comerica Bank chief economist Dana Johnson. “The two trends have crossed.” (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- Twin Peaks: What the newly revealed 'missing pieces' change about the series
Subscribe to the Week