The Federal Aviation Administration proposed fining American Airlines $7.1 million for knowingly flying planes that needed repair work. The civil fine, one of the largest ever sought by the FAA, also covered allegations that American’s drug and alcohol testing programs were deficient. American can contest the fine. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week