The Federal Aviation Administration proposed fining American Airlines $7.1 million for knowingly flying planes that needed repair work. The civil fine, one of the largest ever sought by the FAA, also covered allegations that American’s drug and alcohol testing programs were deficient. American can contest the fine. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
Subscribe to the Week