Paul Newman “has only a few weeks to live,” a close family friend told the London Daily Mail last week. The 83-year-old actor has reportedly been suffering from lung cancer for the past year, but has declined to discuss his illness publicly. He was photographed leaving a New York City cancer center in a wheelchair so he could spend his final days at home with his wife, Joanne Woodward. “Paul didn’t want to die in the hospital,” said the source. “Joanne and his daughters are beside themselves with grief.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week