Paul Newman “has only a few weeks to live,” a close family friend told the London Daily Mail last week. The 83-year-old actor has reportedly been suffering from lung cancer for the past year, but has declined to discuss his illness publicly. He was photographed leaving a New York City cancer center in a wheelchair so he could spend his final days at home with his wife, Joanne Woodward. “Paul didn’t want to die in the hospital,” said the source. “Joanne and his daughters are beside themselves with grief.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week