Paul Newman “has only a few weeks to live,” a close family friend told the London Daily Mail last week. The 83-year-old actor has reportedly been suffering from lung cancer for the past year, but has declined to discuss his illness publicly. He was photographed leaving a New York City cancer center in a wheelchair so he could spend his final days at home with his wife, Joanne Woodward. “Paul didn’t want to die in the hospital,” said the source. “Joanne and his daughters are beside themselves with grief.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week