Swimming legend Mark Spitz is outraged that he wasn’t invited to attend the Beijing Olympics, and he refused to buy his own tickets. “I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously?” he said. “That’s almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is.” Spitz added that he would have won the eight gold medals Phelps is shooting for if the Games had included all the same events when he competed in 1972.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- The week's best photojournalism
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How to cook a perfect rib eye steak
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
Subscribe to the Week