Swimming legend Mark Spitz is outraged that he wasn’t invited to attend the Beijing Olympics, and he refused to buy his own tickets. “I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously?” he said. “That’s almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is.” Spitz added that he would have won the eight gold medals Phelps is shooting for if the Games had included all the same events when he competed in 1972.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
Subscribe to the Week