Swimming legend Mark Spitz is outraged that he wasn’t invited to attend the Beijing Olympics, and he refused to buy his own tickets. “I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously?” he said. “That’s almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is.” Spitz added that he would have won the eight gold medals Phelps is shooting for if the Games had included all the same events when he competed in 1972.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week