wimming legend Mark Spitz is outraged that he wasn’t invited to attend the Beijing Olympics, and he refused to buy his own tickets. “I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously?” he said. “That’s almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is.” Spitz added that he would have won the eight gold medals Phelps is shooting for if the Games had included all the same events when he competed in 1972.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week