GOOD DAY FOR: Truth in advertising, after residents of rural Missouri now have the chance to deposit their savings with Tightwad Bank. Located in the towns of Tightwad and Reading, the current bank is the second to attempt making a go of it, after a 1984-2007 bank of the same name closed shop. “We’re seeking the customers with a sense of humor,” says cofounder Donald S. Higdon. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Reigning champs, after the controversial comedy “Tropic Thunder” knocked “The Dark Knight” from its No. 1 domestic box office slot, after more than a month on top. The latest Batman movie, however, knocked the original “Star Wars” from its spot as the No. 2 all-time highest-grossing domestic film, pulling in $471.5 million to the $461 million earned by “Star Wars” since 1977. (Los Angeles Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
Subscribe to the Week