OOD DAY FOR: Golden parachutes, after InBev revealed in an SEC filing that it will pay Anheuser-Busch CEO August Busch IV almost $10.4 million after its takeover of Busch’s beer empire closes, plus $120,000 a month in consultant fees through 2013. Busch will also be eligible for $13.3 million more in benefits and payments related to the $52 billion merger. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Gold bugs, as the precious metal has fallen 20 percent since July 15, to its current price just below $800 an ounce, due to a stronger dollar, a seasonal drop in jewelry sales, and sliding commodity prices. Gold hit a nominal record high of $1,033.90 in March, although the inflation-adjusted record still dates back to 1980, when it traded at $2,170 in today’s dollars. (CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 18 books to read in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week