OOD DAY FOR: Golden parachutes, after InBev revealed in an SEC filing that it will pay Anheuser-Busch CEO August Busch IV almost $10.4 million after its takeover of Busch’s beer empire closes, plus $120,000 a month in consultant fees through 2013. Busch will also be eligible for $13.3 million more in benefits and payments related to the $52 billion merger. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Gold bugs, as the precious metal has fallen 20 percent since July 15, to its current price just below $800 an ounce, due to a stronger dollar, a seasonal drop in jewelry sales, and sliding commodity prices. Gold hit a nominal record high of $1,033.90 in March, although the inflation-adjusted record still dates back to 1980, when it traded at $2,170 in today’s dollars. (CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week