Shareholders of the New York Mercantile Exchange approved its $8.2 billion takeover by rival derivatives exchange CME, which owns the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade. Nymex will give CME access to the growing market for over-the-counter futures contracts. The merger is now set to close Friday. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- California's epic drought
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
Subscribe to the Week