hareholders of the New York Mercantile Exchange approved its $8.2 billion takeover by rival derivatives exchange CME, which owns the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade. Nymex will give CME access to the growing market for over-the-counter futures contracts. The merger is now set to close Friday. (Chicago Tribune)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week