OOD DAY FOR: Faith trumping reason, as Chicago Cubs’ fans are buying options on playoff and World Series tickets, even though the Cubs haven’t made it to the World Series since 1945. Lowell Bike, for instance, has paid $1,700 for nosebleed seats for two hypothetical playoff and one World Series games. On EBay, a seller is listing eight tickets to the first game of a Cubs World Series for $59,999. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: Feeling their pain, after News Corp said in a regulatory filing that CEO Rupert Murdoch’s total compensation this year will drop 14 percent, to $27.5 million, on a base salary of $8.1 million. News Corp President Peter Chernin is also seeing a pay cut, to $28.8 million in total pay, from $34 million. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week