OOD DAY FOR: Faith trumping reason, as Chicago Cubs’ fans are buying options on playoff and World Series tickets, even though the Cubs haven’t made it to the World Series since 1945. Lowell Bike, for instance, has paid $1,700 for nosebleed seats for two hypothetical playoff and one World Series games. On EBay, a seller is listing eight tickets to the first game of a Cubs World Series for $59,999. (MarketWatch)
BAD DAY FOR: Feeling their pain, after News Corp said in a regulatory filing that CEO Rupert Murdoch’s total compensation this year will drop 14 percent, to $27.5 million, on a base salary of $8.1 million. News Corp President Peter Chernin is also seeing a pay cut, to $28.8 million in total pay, from $34 million. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week