GOOD DAY FOR: Small sacrifices, after South Korean President Lee Myung-bak told government officials to give up golf to show a sign of solidarity with the public as the country’s economy falters. Golf is hugely popular, but also very expensive, in Korea. Lee himself is an avid tennis player. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: The old college try, as some universities are giving iPhones and Internet-capable iPods to incoming students, ostensibly to help spread class and college information and assist with in-class research. Professors, who will now have to compete with the gadgets for student attention, question the wisdom of the move. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week