OOD DAY FOR: Small sacrifices, after South Korean President Lee Myung-bak told government officials to give up golf to show a sign of solidarity with the public as the country’s economy falters. Golf is hugely popular, but also very expensive, in Korea. Lee himself is an avid tennis player. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: The old college try, as some universities are giving iPhones and Internet-capable iPods to incoming students, ostensibly to help spread class and college information and assist with in-class research. Professors, who will now have to compete with the gadgets for student attention, question the wisdom of the move. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week