OOD DAY FOR: Small sacrifices, after South Korean President Lee Myung-bak told government officials to give up golf to show a sign of solidarity with the public as the country’s economy falters. Golf is hugely popular, but also very expensive, in Korea. Lee himself is an avid tennis player. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: The old college try, as some universities are giving iPhones and Internet-capable iPods to incoming students, ostensibly to help spread class and college information and assist with in-class research. Professors, who will now have to compete with the gadgets for student attention, question the wisdom of the move. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week