ndustrial & Commercial Bank of China Ltd. earned $9.42 billion in the first half of the year, a 57 percent rise in profit, becoming the world’s most profitable bank. Its nearest challenger, HSBC, topped out at $7.72 billion. “This shows the rise of economic power in China,” said analyst Yuk Kei Lee at Core Pacific-Yamaichi International in Hong Kong. (Bloomberg) Japan also said that China has passed the U.S. to become the biggest importer of its goods, for the first time ever. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week