ndustrial & Commercial Bank of China Ltd. earned $9.42 billion in the first half of the year, a 57 percent rise in profit, becoming the world’s most profitable bank. Its nearest challenger, HSBC, topped out at $7.72 billion. “This shows the rise of economic power in China,” said analyst Yuk Kei Lee at Core Pacific-Yamaichi International in Hong Kong. (Bloomberg) Japan also said that China has passed the U.S. to become the biggest importer of its goods, for the first time ever. (MarketWatch)
- The secrets of happy families
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week