OOD DAY FOR: Red-hot greens, after the FDA approved a rule that allows vegetable producers to use radiation to kill bacteria on fresh spinach and iceberg lettuce. Irradiation is already allowed to rid meat of germs like E. coli, but this will be the first time it is allowed for produce. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: Making change, after the U.S. Mint said that, due to “unprecedented demand,” it has run out of 1 ounce American Eagle gold coins. Gold analysts say that demand from small investors rose as gold prices fell this month, in a sign that collectors saw a chance to buy on the dip; normally, small investors buy as prices rise, and sell as they fall. (Los Angeles Times)
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Laura van den Berg's 6 favorite unconventional mystery novels
- Is it finally time to start paying college athletes?
- How marriage has changed over centuries
Subscribe to the Week