“The Left is about to receive a rude awakening and an education from the Hollywood Right,” said Ediblog.com. Director David Zucker—he of Airplane! and The Naked Gun fame—has a movie coming out soon called An American Carol that skewers the likes of Michael Moore and company. Finally, moviegoers will be offered a “politically correct-free zone.”
I hate to break it to you, said Mary Ann Johanson in The Flick Filosopher blog, but this movie looks more like “a parody of right-wing idiocy!” What is Zucker trying to say? That “Michael Moore is fat, so he must be wrong”? And “are any of us commie pinko libruls slave-owners?”
There’s definitely “room in the marketplace for a good conservative satire,” said Gary Susman in Entertainment Weekly’s Popwatch blog, but the trailer for this movie just didn’t make me laugh. “Gags about butch lesbians, kids getting smacked around, Gary Coleman as a slave, Kelsey Grammer as the ghost of George S. Patton—I see a lot of agitprop, but where’s the funny?” Team America: World Police—“now, that was funny.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
Subscribe to the Week