“The Left is about to receive a rude awakening and an education from the Hollywood Right,” said Ediblog.com. Director David Zucker—he of Airplane! and The Naked Gun fame—has a movie coming out soon called An American Carol that skewers the likes of Michael Moore and company. Finally, moviegoers will be offered a “politically correct-free zone.”
I hate to break it to you, said Mary Ann Johanson in The Flick Filosopher blog, but this movie looks more like “a parody of right-wing idiocy!” What is Zucker trying to say? That “Michael Moore is fat, so he must be wrong”? And “are any of us commie pinko libruls slave-owners?”
There’s definitely “room in the marketplace for a good conservative satire,” said Gary Susman in Entertainment Weekly’s Popwatch blog, but the trailer for this movie just didn’t make me laugh. “Gags about butch lesbians, kids getting smacked around, Gary Coleman as a slave, Kelsey Grammer as the ghost of George S. Patton—I see a lot of agitprop, but where’s the funny?” Team America: World Police—“now, that was funny.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week