ustralia approved a request by Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd. (Chinalco) to increase its stake in mining giant Rio Tinto. Australian regulators said Chinalco will need government approval if it wants to raise its stake above 14.99 percent. That restriction means that Chinalco won’t get a seat on Rio’s board, and will have a hard time blocking BHP Billiton’s pending $143 billion offer for Rio. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show and Judge Andrew Napolitano play 'The Weakest Lincoln'
Subscribe to the Week