ustralia approved a request by Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd. (Chinalco) to increase its stake in mining giant Rio Tinto. Australian regulators said Chinalco will need government approval if it wants to raise its stake above 14.99 percent. That restriction means that Chinalco won’t get a seat on Rio’s board, and will have a hard time blocking BHP Billiton’s pending $143 billion offer for Rio. (MarketWatch)
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week