Australia approved a request by Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd. (Chinalco) to increase its stake in mining giant Rio Tinto. Australian regulators said Chinalco will need government approval if it wants to raise its stake above 14.99 percent. That restriction means that Chinalco won’t get a seat on Rio’s board, and will have a hard time blocking BHP Billiton’s pending $143 billion offer for Rio. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week