Australia approved a request by Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd. (Chinalco) to increase its stake in mining giant Rio Tinto. Australian regulators said Chinalco will need government approval if it wants to raise its stake above 14.99 percent. That restriction means that Chinalco won’t get a seat on Rio’s board, and will have a hard time blocking BHP Billiton’s pending $143 billion offer for Rio. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How I lost all my money
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week