Australia approved a request by Aluminum Corp. of China Ltd. (Chinalco) to increase its stake in mining giant Rio Tinto. Australian regulators said Chinalco will need government approval if it wants to raise its stake above 14.99 percent. That restriction means that Chinalco won’t get a seat on Rio’s board, and will have a hard time blocking BHP Billiton’s pending $143 billion offer for Rio. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
Subscribe to the Week