British director Christopher Nolan is trying to get Cher to play Catwoman opposite Christian Bale in the next Batman film. (The Daily Telegraph)
What the commentators said
Let’s consider some of the “many ways in which this rumor is not only stupid but blatantly wrong,” said Josh Tyler in Cinema Blend. First, the role doesn’t even exist yet, as Nolan has yet to officially agree to do the sequel to The Dark Knight. More importantly, Cher, at 62, is “grandma age,” so she should “be playing Aunt Mae, not Catwoman.”
Cher would “make a pretty cool Catwoman,” said Elisabeth Rappe in the blog Cinematical, and the Oscar winner and singer certainly fits the bill if the idea is to portray her as a “vamp in her twilight years.” But Catwoman and Batman are supposed to be contemporaries, so it’s not “ageist” to say the actress who gets the role should be closer in age to Bale.
Take this report with a grain of salt, said Rebecca Brody in eFluxMedia. The Telegraph also claims that Johnny Depp has signed on to play the Riddler, which is another clue that the British newspaper is “hallucinating.” Over in Gotham City, Batman must be having a good laugh.
There’s nothing wrong with getting a little creative with casting, said Gary Susman in Entertainment Weekly’s Popwatch blog. If Nolan agrees to do his third Batman picture, Cher might make a great Catwoman, just as Depp could be a terrific Riddler. Very few people would have named Heath Ledger as the ideal Joker for The Dark Knight, but that “certainly worked out.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week