illary Clinton “fell on her sword” for the Democratic Party and Barack Obama, said Rochelle Riley in the Detroit Free Press, and they owe her “in four, or eight years.” Her speech before the Democratic National Convention was “in a word, presidential.” But by “truly giving in and deferring her dream” of being president so that her party could unite behind a different dream—the first African-American president—she’s giving Obama the chance he needs.
Clinton’s speech “was so NOT what Barack Obama needed,” said Craig Crawford in CQ’s Trail Mix blog. Sure, she sounded all the right notes about unity and said Obama’s name a few times, but it was “an obligatory, boiler-plate endorsement” that said nothing about Obama's personal character and, worse, did nothing to “clean up Clinton’s earlier dismissal of Obama’s readiness to be commander in chief.”
Well, “imagine how excruciating this moment must be,” said Ruth Marcus in The Washington Post’s PostPartisan blog. “Clinton is like a jilted fiancee who not only has to go to her ex’s wedding—she has to toast the new bride.” It is to her immense credit that she gave her toast “without a hitch,” and without betraying any sign of unhappiness.
Maybe it helped that her speech wasn’t really about Obama, said Ezra Klein in The American Prospect. “It was a speech about being a Democrat, and what electing a Democrat will mean for the country.” She told her supporters that “her candidacy was about something, not someone.”
Hillary said Obama deserves to be president because he's in the same party as Bill Clinton, said Rich Lowry in National Review Online's The Corner blog. She didn't say a word that was "incompatible with what she'll want to say if Obama loses in November: 'Told you so.'"
Clinton said all the right things, said David Callaway in MarketWatch. The question is, how much will she now do to put her words into action?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week