OOD DAY FOR: Disappointing Barbie, after a California jury awarded Mattel between $40 million and $100 million in its copyright infringement lawsuit against the maker of Bratz dolls, MGA Entertainment. Mattel had sought a ruinous $2 billion. The jury decided that MGA had not willfully infringed on Mattel’s copyright, and so awarded no punitive damages. Bratz had taken market share from Mattel’s Barbie. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Average Joe, after Starbucks rolled out the first of its $11,000 Clover coffee machines at 10 Seattle stores. Starbucks bought Clover-maker The Coffee Equipment Co. in April, acquiring the exclusive right to use the complex, cup-at-a-time brewing machine. Independent coffee shops were miffed that Starbucks isn’t selling the machine outside the company. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are Democrats backing the GOP into another government shutdown?
- Girls on Film: Stephen Frears' pioneering platform for older actresses
- How Vanessa became Jacob
Subscribe to the Week