OOD DAY FOR: Going vegetarian, after the rising cost of meat in Cambodia, where inflation is officially at 37 percent, has made rat meat increasingly popular. But even rat meat, now $1.28 a kilogram, has quadrupled in price this year. “Not only are our poor eating it, but there is also demand from Vietnamese living on the border with us,” said agriculture official Ly Marong. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Added value, as Best Buy is offering a service in which it will remove all the free software that comes on PCs, for a fee of $30. Such services spell trouble for the software industry, which pays PC makers hundreds of millions of dollars to preinstall programs for photo editing, personal finance, and other services. Critics call it “bloatware” that slows computers down. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week