OOD DAY FOR: Going vegetarian, after the rising cost of meat in Cambodia, where inflation is officially at 37 percent, has made rat meat increasingly popular. But even rat meat, now $1.28 a kilogram, has quadrupled in price this year. “Not only are our poor eating it, but there is also demand from Vietnamese living on the border with us,” said agriculture official Ly Marong. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Added value, as Best Buy is offering a service in which it will remove all the free software that comes on PCs, for a fee of $30. Such services spell trouble for the software industry, which pays PC makers hundreds of millions of dollars to preinstall programs for photo editing, personal finance, and other services. Critics call it “bloatware” that slows computers down. (The New York Times)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week