ewer Americans uninsured
The number of Americans without health insurance declined modestly from 2006 to 2007, Census Bureau officials said. Thanks to increased participation in government health insurance programs, especially those aimed at children, the number of Americans without insurance fell from 47 million at the end of 2006 to 45.7 million at the end of 2007. Texas had the highest percentage of uninsured citizens—24.4 percent of the state’s population.
Stevens wins Alaska primary
Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, facing federal corruption charges, handily won the Alaska Republican senatorial primary this week, capturing 63 percent of the vote and defeating two little-known challengers. Stevens, 84, was indicted in June for allegedly lying about accepting favors from an oil-services company. He denies the charges. He will face Anchorage’s Democratic mayor, Mark Begich, in November. Recent polls show Begich leading by double digits.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Battle in a blizzard
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- 5 theories to explain North Korea's big mysterious purge
Subscribe to the Week