GOOD DAY FOR: Precious memories, as Swiss company Algordanza offers to create diamonds out of the ashes of cremated loved ones. Prices for the service start at less than $7,500. Algordanza, which means “remembrance” in the local dialect, competes against companies that make diamonds from hair of the dead or living. Japan, with a high cremation rate, is Algoranza’s biggest market. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A storm surge, after oil fell to as low as $105.46 a barrel in New York yesterday as Hurricane Gustav apparently spared U.S. Gulf Coast oil facilities. That was its lowest price since April 2. If it weren’t for Gustav and the Russia-Georgia conflict, “we would have been testing $100 already,” said Mike Wittner of Société Générale. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week