OOD DAY FOR: Mixed media, after state-owned Abu Dhabi Media Co., which owns media assets such as Holy Quran Radio, is starting a $1 billion Hollywood production company that will invest in up to eight movies a year. The new company, Imagenation Abu Dhabi, is stepping in after other sources of Hollywood funding dried up in the credit crunch. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Minding the Gulf, after U.S. residential and commercial insurance claims from Hurricane Gustav were estimated at between $4 billion and $10 billion. The storm was less destructive than feared, though, and much less expensive than Hurricane Katrina, which cost insurers $41 billion. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week