he trailer for the upcoming biopic Milk, starring Sean Penn as the first openly gay politician in America, Harvey Milk, has finally hit the Internet, said Veronica Santiago in the blog Film Crunch, and I have two words regarding Penn’s performance: “Oscar nomination.”
Milk was “a key figure in the fight for gay rights,” said William Goss in the blog Cinematical. But the two-and-a-half minute trailer for the movie seems to paint him as more “saintly” than he really was.
I just can’t believe that “oddball” Gus Van Sant directed this film, said Josh Tyler in the blog Cinema Blend. “The trailer has all the glitz and glamour of a Ron Howard movie.”
(Watch the trailer for Milk on YouTube)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week