The trailer for the upcoming biopic Milk, starring Sean Penn as the first openly gay politician in America, Harvey Milk, has finally hit the Internet, said Veronica Santiago in the blog Film Crunch, and I have two words regarding Penn’s performance: “Oscar nomination.”
Milk was “a key figure in the fight for gay rights,” said William Goss in the blog Cinematical. But the two-and-a-half minute trailer for the movie seems to paint him as more “saintly” than he really was.
I just can’t believe that “oddball” Gus Van Sant directed this film, said Josh Tyler in the blog Cinema Blend. “The trailer has all the glitz and glamour of a Ron Howard movie.”
(Watch the trailer for Milk on YouTube)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week