The trailer for the upcoming biopic Milk, starring Sean Penn as the first openly gay politician in America, Harvey Milk, has finally hit the Internet, said Veronica Santiago in the blog Film Crunch, and I have two words regarding Penn’s performance: “Oscar nomination.”
Milk was “a key figure in the fight for gay rights,” said William Goss in the blog Cinematical. But the two-and-a-half minute trailer for the movie seems to paint him as more “saintly” than he really was.
I just can’t believe that “oddball” Gus Van Sant directed this film, said Josh Tyler in the blog Cinema Blend. “The trailer has all the glitz and glamour of a Ron Howard movie.”
(Watch the trailer for Milk on YouTube)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week