Pacific Investment Management Co. (Pimco), the world’s biggest bond fund manager, will promote Mohamed El-Erian to sole chief executive, after co-CEO Bill Thompson retires at the end of the year. El-Erian will remain co-chief investment officer with managing director Bill Gross. (Bloomberg) Gross yesterday called for a massive intervention in the housing market by the U.S. Treasury, “to prevent a continuing asset and debt liquidation of near historic proportions.” (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week