Italy on foot
Buy one Italian walking vacation from Cross Country International and take a companion for free. Prices for trips through December start at $2,695, including flights, hotel, four days’ guided walking, and most meals. Contact: Walkingvacations.com
On a Russian riverboat
Uniworld Grand River Cruises’ 2009 itineraries include trips from St. Petersburg to Moscow, and Kiev to Istanbul. Prices start at $2,999 per guest; pay by Nov. 30 and receive a $1,000-per-couple discount.
Sunday through Thursday stays at the Wentworth Mansion in Charleston, S.C., start at $1,050. Price includes two nights in a room with marble fireplace and Jacuzzi tub, a couples spa treatment, and a sailboat ride. Contact: Wentworthmansion.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week