The Dalai Lama was released from a Mumbai hospital this week after spending four days in treatment for stomach pain and fatigue, and sought to quell rumors that his condition was life-threatening. The 73-year-old Tibetan spiritual leader smiled and waved for photographers and said there was “no cause for concern.” He canceled his appointments for the next three weeks in order to rest and recover.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week