urlsoho.com, the online home of Purl and Purl Patchwork, sells natural, heirloom-quality fibers. Its selection includes basics like cotton and linen and such fancier fabrics as cashmere and warm alpaca. Sewing patterns for everything from pajamas to pillows are available, as are tools and accessories.
Burdastyle.com considers itself a destination for do-it-yourself style. The site lets “fellow stitchers” talk ideas, share tips, and download “free patterns for a variety of designs such as aprons, skirts, and eye masks.” As an “open-source” sewing operation, members can also barter and sell their creations through the site.
Sewmamasew.com is a “virtual sewing” circle, where members can “share tips, new projects, and sewing resources.” The site features a full online shop where needleworkers can find fabrics by designer, manufacturer, collection, print, or color.
Source: Country Living
- The indignity of canine bath time
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- Why the GOP's "Women 101" seminars won't help the party with female voters
- How America's unions can reinvent themselves in the new economy
Subscribe to the Week