GOOD DAY FOR: Natural gas, after San Antonino unveiled a plan to turn methane gas from human waste into clean-burning fuel for commercial power plants. San Antonio residents produce 140,000 tons a year of the, um, “biosolids,” and it has hired Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc. to convert the human waste into up to 1.5 million cubic feet of natural gas a day. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Self-promotion, after a 22-year-old college student put her virginity up for public auction to pay for graduate school. EBay refused to host the auction, so the woman, “Natalie Dylan,” is auctioning herself off at Moonlite Bunny Ranch, a Nevada brothel. “We live in a capitalist society. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to capitalize on my virginity?” Dylan asked. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
Subscribe to the Week