GOOD DAY FOR: Natural gas, after San Antonino unveiled a plan to turn methane gas from human waste into clean-burning fuel for commercial power plants. San Antonio residents produce 140,000 tons a year of the, um, “biosolids,” and it has hired Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc. to convert the human waste into up to 1.5 million cubic feet of natural gas a day. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Self-promotion, after a 22-year-old college student put her virginity up for public auction to pay for graduate school. EBay refused to host the auction, so the woman, “Natalie Dylan,” is auctioning herself off at Moonlite Bunny Ranch, a Nevada brothel. “We live in a capitalist society. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to capitalize on my virginity?” Dylan asked. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week