GOOD DAY FOR: Natural gas, after San Antonino unveiled a plan to turn methane gas from human waste into clean-burning fuel for commercial power plants. San Antonio residents produce 140,000 tons a year of the, um, “biosolids,” and it has hired Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc. to convert the human waste into up to 1.5 million cubic feet of natural gas a day. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Self-promotion, after a 22-year-old college student put her virginity up for public auction to pay for graduate school. EBay refused to host the auction, so the woman, “Natalie Dylan,” is auctioning herself off at Moonlite Bunny Ranch, a Nevada brothel. “We live in a capitalist society. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to capitalize on my virginity?” Dylan asked. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week