OOD DAY FOR: Natural gas, after San Antonino unveiled a plan to turn methane gas from human waste into clean-burning fuel for commercial power plants. San Antonio residents produce 140,000 tons a year of the, um, “biosolids,” and it has hired Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc. to convert the human waste into up to 1.5 million cubic feet of natural gas a day. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Self-promotion, after a 22-year-old college student put her virginity up for public auction to pay for graduate school. EBay refused to host the auction, so the woman, “Natalie Dylan,” is auctioning herself off at Moonlite Bunny Ranch, a Nevada brothel. “We live in a capitalist society. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to capitalize on my virginity?” Dylan asked. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week