GOOD DAY FOR: Aussie actors, after Forbes rated Nicole Kidman the most overpaid celebrity. Kidman beat out last year’s winner, fellow Australian Russell Crowe; her ex-husband, Tom Cruise, came in at No. 4 this year. Forbes said that Kidman’s films earned $1 for every $1 she was paid. Jennifer Garner, No. 2 on this year’s list, whose movies earned $3.60 for every dollar paid. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticketmaster, which saw its share price fall 17 percent yesterday after rival Live Nation poached its second-biggest client, venue manager SMG. SMG manages 216 arenas and other municipal venues. Under the deal, Live Nation will take over SMG’s ticket sales by 2011. Ticketmaster threatened to start competing against SMG in venue management. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week