GOOD DAY FOR: Aussie actors, after Forbes rated Nicole Kidman the most overpaid celebrity. Kidman beat out last year’s winner, fellow Australian Russell Crowe; her ex-husband, Tom Cruise, came in at No. 4 this year. Forbes said that Kidman’s films earned $1 for every $1 she was paid. Jennifer Garner, No. 2 on this year’s list, whose movies earned $3.60 for every dollar paid. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticketmaster, which saw its share price fall 17 percent yesterday after rival Live Nation poached its second-biggest client, venue manager SMG. SMG manages 216 arenas and other municipal venues. Under the deal, Live Nation will take over SMG’s ticket sales by 2011. Ticketmaster threatened to start competing against SMG in venue management. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week