GOOD DAY FOR: Aussie actors, after Forbes rated Nicole Kidman the most overpaid celebrity. Kidman beat out last year’s winner, fellow Australian Russell Crowe; her ex-husband, Tom Cruise, came in at No. 4 this year. Forbes said that Kidman’s films earned $1 for every $1 she was paid. Jennifer Garner, No. 2 on this year’s list, whose movies earned $3.60 for every dollar paid. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticketmaster, which saw its share price fall 17 percent yesterday after rival Live Nation poached its second-biggest client, venue manager SMG. SMG manages 216 arenas and other municipal venues. Under the deal, Live Nation will take over SMG’s ticket sales by 2011. Ticketmaster threatened to start competing against SMG in venue management. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week