OOD DAY FOR: Aussie actors, after Forbes rated Nicole Kidman the most overpaid celebrity. Kidman beat out last year’s winner, fellow Australian Russell Crowe; her ex-husband, Tom Cruise, came in at No. 4 this year. Forbes said that Kidman’s films earned $1 for every $1 she was paid. Jennifer Garner, No. 2 on this year’s list, whose movies earned $3.60 for every dollar paid. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Ticketmaster, which saw its share price fall 17 percent yesterday after rival Live Nation poached its second-biggest client, venue manager SMG. SMG manages 216 arenas and other municipal venues. Under the deal, Live Nation will take over SMG’s ticket sales by 2011. Ticketmaster threatened to start competing against SMG in venue management. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week