GOOD DAY FOR: Taking the wheel, after Porsche gained controlling interest in Volkswagen, Europe’s top automaker, raising its stake to just above 35 percent, from 31 percent. Owning VW will give Porsche—which sells about 100,000 cars a year to VW’s 6 million—more flexibility in its production. Porsche is one of the world’s more profitable automakers. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Equating time with money, after an Australian pizza delivery man was caught going 82 miles per hour in a 50 mph zone as he rushed to deliver a late pizza. Police let him deliver the pizza before ticketing him. The unidentified 20-year-old was caught driving 83 mph on the way back to the pizzeria, on the same stretch of road. He was fined $1,226 and had his license pulled for 15 months. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week