OOD DAY FOR: Taking the wheel, after Porsche gained controlling interest in Volkswagen, Europe’s top automaker, raising its stake to just above 35 percent, from 31 percent. Owning VW will give Porsche—which sells about 100,000 cars a year to VW’s 6 million—more flexibility in its production. Porsche is one of the world’s more profitable automakers. (The New York Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Equating time with money, after an Australian pizza delivery man was caught going 82 miles per hour in a 50 mph zone as he rushed to deliver a late pizza. Police let him deliver the pizza before ticketing him. The unidentified 20-year-old was caught driving 83 mph on the way back to the pizzeria, on the same stretch of road. He was fined $1,226 and had his license pulled for 15 months. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week