organ Stanley, one of two major independent investment banks left on Wall Street, is actively weighing whether to merge with another bank, as its zig-zagging stock price could scuttle its plan to stay independent, according to unidentified sources. CEO John Mack is wary of repeating the fate of Lehman Brothers, which rejected several takeover offers before being forced into bankruptcy. (CNBC)
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- Did God have a wife?
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Homeland recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
Subscribe to the Week