organ Stanley, one of two major independent investment banks left on Wall Street, is actively weighing whether to merge with another bank, as its zig-zagging stock price could scuttle its plan to stay independent, according to unidentified sources. CEO John Mack is wary of repeating the fate of Lehman Brothers, which rejected several takeover offers before being forced into bankruptcy. (CNBC)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
Subscribe to the Week