Now we know why John McCain doesn’t use e-mail, said Andrew Malcolm in the Los Angeles Times online. Somebody has hacked into a private e-mail account belonging to Sarah Palin, McCain's running mate, and released some “fairly innocuous” messages (Gawker) and personal photos online.
This is clearly a shocking invasion of Palin’s privacy, said Farhad Manjoo in Slate, but the scandal makes the Republican vice presidential candidate and Alaska governor look a bit “boneheaded.” Or maybe it was a “Rovian or perhaps Cheney-esque partiality for secrecy” that led her to conduct state business over a personal Yahoo account as Trooper-gate investigators examined her state e-mail.
Way to blame the victim, said Kim Priestap in WizBang. The bottom line here is that some left-wing "scum" committed a crime, clearly hoping to help Barack Obama’s campaign. But the McCain-Palin ticket will get the last laugh, as this unscrupulous attack will only “cause people to sympathize” with Palin.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why Japan is turning to high-tech floating islands to solve its energy needs
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week