ow we know why John McCain doesn’t use e-mail, said Andrew Malcolm in the Los Angeles Times online. Somebody has hacked into a private e-mail account belonging to Sarah Palin, McCain's running mate, and released some “fairly innocuous” messages (Gawker) and personal photos online.
This is clearly a shocking invasion of Palin’s privacy, said Farhad Manjoo in Slate, but the scandal makes the Republican vice presidential candidate and Alaska governor look a bit “boneheaded.” Or maybe it was a “Rovian or perhaps Cheney-esque partiality for secrecy” that led her to conduct state business over a personal Yahoo account as Trooper-gate investigators examined her state e-mail.
Way to blame the victim, said Kim Priestap in WizBang. The bottom line here is that some left-wing "scum" committed a crime, clearly hoping to help Barack Obama’s campaign. But the McCain-Palin ticket will get the last laugh, as this unscrupulous attack will only “cause people to sympathize” with Palin.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week