DeGeneres and de Rossi face the baby issue
The honeymoon is over for Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi, says The National Enquirer. Before their marriage in California last month, friends say, the couple agreed never to have children. Now, however, DeGeneres, 50, is pressuring de Rossi, 35, to get pregnant. “Portia feels the baby issue has been decided and she is very upset, but Ellen has gotten all goofy over the baby issue,” says one close friend. “The situation is very tense.”
Stealing a daughter's identity
A Wisconsin woman allegedly stole her daughter’s identity to become a high school cheerleader. Wendy Brown, 33, enrolled in Ashwaubenon High School with documents belonging to her daughter, who was living out of state. Brown attended practice and parties with the cheerleading squad before the ruse was exposed. Police charged Brown with identity theft, and said she “had no childhood and was trying to regain a part of her life she missed.”
French dog testifies at murder trial
A French dog has made legal history by testifying in a murder trial. Scooby, a mixed-breed male, was the only witness to the death of his owner, a 59-year-old woman found hanged in her Paris apartment. When led into the courtroom, Scooby barked furiously at the sight of the murder suspect and was later praised by the judge for his “exemplary behavior and invaluable assistance.” A lawyer for the defense pointed out that the crime took place two and a half years ago, “which is 17 dog years. How is the animal supposed to remember that far back?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week