OOD DAY FOR: Capitalist gloating, as a Berlin auction house is selling off four slabs of the Berlin Wall today, for an expected price of $4,350 each. Much of the Wall, which the communist East German government built to isolate capitalist West Berlin, has already been chipped away by souvenir hunters or ground into material for roads. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Landing in hot water, after plans to expand Japan’s geothermal energy industry have run headlong into millions of angry naked bathers. The owners of Japan’s 7,700 spas are worried that increased use of natural hot springs for geothermal plants could dry up the spas’ baths. Japan, with 10 percent of the world’s active, hot-spring-feeding volcanoes, imports $183 billion worth of fuel each year. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week