OOD DAY FOR: Capitalist gloating, as a Berlin auction house is selling off four slabs of the Berlin Wall today, for an expected price of $4,350 each. Much of the Wall, which the communist East German government built to isolate capitalist West Berlin, has already been chipped away by souvenir hunters or ground into material for roads. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Landing in hot water, after plans to expand Japan’s geothermal energy industry have run headlong into millions of angry naked bathers. The owners of Japan’s 7,700 spas are worried that increased use of natural hot springs for geothermal plants could dry up the spas’ baths. Japan, with 10 percent of the world’s active, hot-spring-feeding volcanoes, imports $183 billion worth of fuel each year. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
Subscribe to the Week