OOD DAY FOR: Capitalist gloating, as a Berlin auction house is selling off four slabs of the Berlin Wall today, for an expected price of $4,350 each. Much of the Wall, which the communist East German government built to isolate capitalist West Berlin, has already been chipped away by souvenir hunters or ground into material for roads. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Landing in hot water, after plans to expand Japan’s geothermal energy industry have run headlong into millions of angry naked bathers. The owners of Japan’s 7,700 spas are worried that increased use of natural hot springs for geothermal plants could dry up the spas’ baths. Japan, with 10 percent of the world’s active, hot-spring-feeding volcanoes, imports $183 billion worth of fuel each year. (Bloomberg)
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 7 enduring lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
- The last racial taboo
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
Subscribe to the Week