The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition
Even after a decade, “The Dude abides,” said New York. There’s no denying that the Coen brothers have made “some laughless comedy stinkers” since, but this cult classic stands up as “one of the funniest films of all time.” The “ludicrously” packaged DVD comes in a plastic bowling ball.
Baby Mama is a Hollywood rarity, said David Germain in the Associated Press. In this comedy about single women and surrogacy, Saturday Night Live’s Tina Fey and Amy Poehler created a “female buddy flick that actually found an audience.” The DVD includes deleted scenes plus an alternate ending.
How the West Was Won
This release is reason enough to buy a Blu-ray player, said The New York Times. John Ford’s epic Western was the last movie made in Cinerama, “the highest-definition moving picture medium the world had seen.” The Blu-ray version “generates a shock analogous to what the audiences of 1952 must have felt.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- How names influence our destinies
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week