The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition
Even after a decade, “The Dude abides,” said New York. There’s no denying that the Coen brothers have made “some laughless comedy stinkers” since, but this cult classic stands up as “one of the funniest films of all time.” The “ludicrously” packaged DVD comes in a plastic bowling ball.
Baby Mama is a Hollywood rarity, said David Germain in the Associated Press. In this comedy about single women and surrogacy, Saturday Night Live’s Tina Fey and Amy Poehler created a “female buddy flick that actually found an audience.” The DVD includes deleted scenes plus an alternate ending.
How the West Was Won
This release is reason enough to buy a Blu-ray player, said The New York Times. John Ford’s epic Western was the last movie made in Cinerama, “the highest-definition moving picture medium the world had seen.” The Blu-ray version “generates a shock analogous to what the audiences of 1952 must have felt.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hillary Clinton needs to win big in 2016. Here's how she can do it.
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- How neuroscience can help us understand political partisanship
- 10 things you need to know today: November 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week