The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition
Even after a decade, “The Dude abides,” said New York. There’s no denying that the Coen brothers have made “some laughless comedy stinkers” since, but this cult classic stands up as “one of the funniest films of all time.” The “ludicrously” packaged DVD comes in a plastic bowling ball.
Baby Mama is a Hollywood rarity, said David Germain in the Associated Press. In this comedy about single women and surrogacy, Saturday Night Live’s Tina Fey and Amy Poehler created a “female buddy flick that actually found an audience.” The DVD includes deleted scenes plus an alternate ending.
How the West Was Won
This release is reason enough to buy a Blu-ray player, said The New York Times. John Ford’s epic Western was the last movie made in Cinerama, “the highest-definition moving picture medium the world had seen.” The Blu-ray version “generates a shock analogous to what the audiences of 1952 must have felt.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week