The Big Lebowski: 10th Anniversary Edition
Even after a decade, “The Dude abides,” said New York. There’s no denying that the Coen brothers have made “some laughless comedy stinkers” since, but this cult classic stands up as “one of the funniest films of all time.” The “ludicrously” packaged DVD comes in a plastic bowling ball.
Baby Mama is a Hollywood rarity, said David Germain in the Associated Press. In this comedy about single women and surrogacy, Saturday Night Live’s Tina Fey and Amy Poehler created a “female buddy flick that actually found an audience.” The DVD includes deleted scenes plus an alternate ending.
How the West Was Won
This release is reason enough to buy a Blu-ray player, said The New York Times. John Ford’s epic Western was the last movie made in Cinerama, “the highest-definition moving picture medium the world had seen.” The Blu-ray version “generates a shock analogous to what the audiences of 1952 must have felt.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week