Star Trek’s George Takei married his longtime partner Brad Altman in Los Angeles this week. The ceremony was presided over by a Buddhist priest and included a tea ceremony, the exchange of Native American wedding bands, and a bagpipe procession. The couple walked down the aisle to the song “One Singular Sensation” from A Chorus Line. Takei and Altman have been together for 21 years, “yet we were not equal” to straight couples, said Takei. “What this does is give us that dignity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week