Star Trek’s George Takei married his longtime partner Brad Altman in Los Angeles this week. The ceremony was presided over by a Buddhist priest and included a tea ceremony, the exchange of Native American wedding bands, and a bagpipe procession. The couple walked down the aisle to the song “One Singular Sensation” from A Chorus Line. Takei and Altman have been together for 21 years, “yet we were not equal” to straight couples, said Takei. “What this does is give us that dignity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Can sci-fi save the romantic comedy?
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
Subscribe to the Week