tar Trek’s George Takei married his longtime partner Brad Altman in Los Angeles this week. The ceremony was presided over by a Buddhist priest and included a tea ceremony, the exchange of Native American wedding bands, and a bagpipe procession. The couple walked down the aisle to the song “One Singular Sensation” from A Chorus Line. Takei and Altman have been together for 21 years, “yet we were not equal” to straight couples, said Takei. “What this does is give us that dignity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week