Star Trek’s George Takei married his longtime partner Brad Altman in Los Angeles this week. The ceremony was presided over by a Buddhist priest and included a tea ceremony, the exchange of Native American wedding bands, and a bagpipe procession. The couple walked down the aisle to the song “One Singular Sensation” from A Chorus Line. Takei and Altman have been together for 21 years, “yet we were not equal” to straight couples, said Takei. “What this does is give us that dignity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week