Star Trek’s George Takei married his longtime partner Brad Altman in Los Angeles this week. The ceremony was presided over by a Buddhist priest and included a tea ceremony, the exchange of Native American wedding bands, and a bagpipe procession. The couple walked down the aisle to the song “One Singular Sensation” from A Chorus Line. Takei and Altman have been together for 21 years, “yet we were not equal” to straight couples, said Takei. “What this does is give us that dignity.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week