Since the Republican convention, demand for the stylish $375 Kazuo Kawasaki eyeglasses worn by Sarah Palin has quadrupled. Italee Optics, which manufactures the glasses, has added shifts and is working around the clock to keep up with the flood of back orders.
The Wall Street Journal
John and Cindy McCain own 13 cars, including a Lexus and a Honda, while Barack and Michelle Obama own one, a Ford Escape hybrid. The McCains’ fleet also includes a 1960 Willys Jeep that is older than Obama.
The $700 billion being proposed for the Wall Street bailout is about $175 billion more than school districts, states, and the federal government spent last year on all forms of public education.
About 583,000 of the nation’s 15 million college students are foreign nationals. India, China, and South Korea rank highest in the number of students in the U.S.
Psychiatrists now spend 71 percent of patient visits prescribing antidepressants and other drugs, and only 29 percent on talk therapy, according to a Johns Hopkins University study. Insurance companies provide more reimbursement for medication visits than for psychotherapy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
Subscribe to the Week