Since the Republican convention, demand for the stylish $375 Kazuo Kawasaki eyeglasses worn by Sarah Palin has quadrupled. Italee Optics, which manufactures the glasses, has added shifts and is working around the clock to keep up with the flood of back orders.
The Wall Street Journal
John and Cindy McCain own 13 cars, including a Lexus and a Honda, while Barack and Michelle Obama own one, a Ford Escape hybrid. The McCains’ fleet also includes a 1960 Willys Jeep that is older than Obama.
The $700 billion being proposed for the Wall Street bailout is about $175 billion more than school districts, states, and the federal government spent last year on all forms of public education.
About 583,000 of the nation’s 15 million college students are foreign nationals. India, China, and South Korea rank highest in the number of students in the U.S.
Psychiatrists now spend 71 percent of patient visits prescribing antidepressants and other drugs, and only 29 percent on talk therapy, according to a Johns Hopkins University study. Insurance companies provide more reimbursement for medication visits than for psychotherapy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to live a long life, according to science
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The mysterious origins of the Jersey Devil
Subscribe to the Week