Port Elizabeth, South Africa
This all-new boutique hotel is famous mostly for being next door to the 60,000-acre Shamwari Game Reserve, where Tiger Woods proposed to his then-girlfriend Elin Nordegren, said Ratha Tep in Food & Wine. Set on South Africa’s Eastern Cape, the all-white, art deco–style hotel “looks as if it was lifted straight off of Miami’s South Beach.” The hotel’s conservation efforts include restocking the area with elephants, giraffes, and lions rescued from circuses. Its private movie theater is modeled on Prince Charles’ private cinema at Clarence House in London, and 60 different labels are stocked in the dedicated whiskey bar. Contact: Shamwaritownhouse.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week