Port Elizabeth, South Africa
This all-new boutique hotel is famous mostly for being next door to the 60,000-acre Shamwari Game Reserve, where Tiger Woods proposed to his then-girlfriend Elin Nordegren, said Ratha Tep in Food & Wine. Set on South Africa’s Eastern Cape, the all-white, art deco–style hotel “looks as if it was lifted straight off of Miami’s South Beach.” The hotel’s conservation efforts include restocking the area with elephants, giraffes, and lions rescued from circuses. Its private movie theater is modeled on Prince Charles’ private cinema at Clarence House in London, and 60 different labels are stocked in the dedicated whiskey bar. Contact: Shamwaritownhouse.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
Subscribe to the Week