Port Elizabeth, South Africa
This all-new boutique hotel is famous mostly for being next door to the 60,000-acre Shamwari Game Reserve, where Tiger Woods proposed to his then-girlfriend Elin Nordegren, said Ratha Tep in Food & Wine. Set on South Africa’s Eastern Cape, the all-white, art deco–style hotel “looks as if it was lifted straight off of Miami’s South Beach.” The hotel’s conservation efforts include restocking the area with elephants, giraffes, and lions rescued from circuses. Its private movie theater is modeled on Prince Charles’ private cinema at Clarence House in London, and 60 different labels are stocked in the dedicated whiskey bar. Contact: Shamwaritownhouse.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week