Port Elizabeth, South Africa
This all-new boutique hotel is famous mostly for being next door to the 60,000-acre Shamwari Game Reserve, where Tiger Woods proposed to his then-girlfriend Elin Nordegren, said Ratha Tep in Food & Wine. Set on South Africa’s Eastern Cape, the all-white, art deco–style hotel “looks as if it was lifted straight off of Miami’s South Beach.” The hotel’s conservation efforts include restocking the area with elephants, giraffes, and lions rescued from circuses. Its private movie theater is modeled on Prince Charles’ private cinema at Clarence House in London, and 60 different labels are stocked in the dedicated whiskey bar. Contact: Shamwaritownhouse.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week