Port Elizabeth, South Africa
This all-new boutique hotel is famous mostly for being next door to the 60,000-acre Shamwari Game Reserve, where Tiger Woods proposed to his then-girlfriend Elin Nordegren, said Ratha Tep in Food & Wine. Set on South Africa’s Eastern Cape, the all-white, art deco–style hotel “looks as if it was lifted straight off of Miami’s South Beach.” The hotel’s conservation efforts include restocking the area with elephants, giraffes, and lions rescued from circuses. Its private movie theater is modeled on Prince Charles’ private cinema at Clarence House in London, and 60 different labels are stocked in the dedicated whiskey bar. Contact: Shamwaritownhouse.com
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week