Be bold. Real men win arguments by talking, not fighting. According to Rhymefest, a Grammy-winning battle-rapper who took down Eminem at a freestyle face-off in 1997, “trash-talking is all about confidence.” No matter what insult your opponent throws at you, don’t take it personally. If you show emotion or “your voice cracks, you’re sunk.”
Get creative. Strategy is key when choosing gibes to “make the other guy feel self-conscious.” If your opponent is on the heavier side, “he’s expecting you to say something about his weight.” Instead, “get his attention” by remarking on his intellect, wardrobe, or awful taste in music. But be careful: Fighting words only work if they’re actually clever.
Finish strong. Close with a “knockout punch, the line that makes the crowd around you shout ‘Ohhh!’” How will you know you’ve won? When the opponent is left speechless.
Source: Men’s Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
Subscribe to the Week