Be bold. Real men win arguments by talking, not fighting. According to Rhymefest, a Grammy-winning battle-rapper who took down Eminem at a freestyle face-off in 1997, “trash-talking is all about confidence.” No matter what insult your opponent throws at you, don’t take it personally. If you show emotion or “your voice cracks, you’re sunk.”
Get creative. Strategy is key when choosing gibes to “make the other guy feel self-conscious.” If your opponent is on the heavier side, “he’s expecting you to say something about his weight.” Instead, “get his attention” by remarking on his intellect, wardrobe, or awful taste in music. But be careful: Fighting words only work if they’re actually clever.
Finish strong. Close with a “knockout punch, the line that makes the crowd around you shout ‘Ohhh!’” How will you know you’ve won? When the opponent is left speechless.
Source: Men’s Journal
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week