OOD DAY FOR: Detroit, after Congress approved at $25 billion loan package for the Big Three automakers. The subsidized loans are designed to help GM, Ford, and Chrysler retool their production lines to make smaller, fuel-efficient cars with new technologies like hybrid engines and battery-powered motors. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Chocoholics, after Cadbury recalled all 11 chocolate products produced in China due to concerns about melamine-tainted milk. The chocolate products in question are commonly shipped to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Australia. China has reported 104 serious illnesses linked to the tainted milk, and almost 40,000 others have suffered ill effects. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week