ermany’s second-largest commercial property lender, Hypo Real Estate, received a $50 billion credit line from the German government and several private banks to save it from possible collapse. Hypo ran into problems when its Irish subsidiary Depfa Bank was unable to get short-term funding. The loan is to shield Hypo from the finance-market chaos. “This is a shock, there’s simply no short-term financing,” said SEB analyst Manfred Jakob in Frankfurt. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week