GOOD DAY FOR: Enjoying nature, after an Italian study found that a Chinese herb called horny goat weed is a promising natural alternative to Pfizer’s Viagra and other impotence drugs. The University of Milan team hopes the extract of the herb, also called icariin, will provide the erection benefits without the potentially harmful side effects of Viagra and other drugs. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Worshiping capitalism, as former Nasdaq broker Hristo Mishkov, now an Orthodox Christian monk in Bulgaria called Brother Nikanor, is advising his distressed former colleagues to put a jar of dirt on their desk as a reminder of where we’re all heading and what matters in life. As banks fail, New York churches are reporting higher attendance at lunch-hour services, especially among people in suits. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week