GOOD DAY FOR: Enjoying nature, after an Italian study found that a Chinese herb called horny goat weed is a promising natural alternative to Pfizer’s Viagra and other impotence drugs. The University of Milan team hopes the extract of the herb, also called icariin, will provide the erection benefits without the potentially harmful side effects of Viagra and other drugs. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Worshiping capitalism, as former Nasdaq broker Hristo Mishkov, now an Orthodox Christian monk in Bulgaria called Brother Nikanor, is advising his distressed former colleagues to put a jar of dirt on their desk as a reminder of where we’re all heading and what matters in life. As banks fail, New York churches are reporting higher attendance at lunch-hour services, especially among people in suits. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week