GOOD DAY FOR: Enjoying nature, after an Italian study found that a Chinese herb called horny goat weed is a promising natural alternative to Pfizer’s Viagra and other impotence drugs. The University of Milan team hopes the extract of the herb, also called icariin, will provide the erection benefits without the potentially harmful side effects of Viagra and other drugs. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Worshiping capitalism, as former Nasdaq broker Hristo Mishkov, now an Orthodox Christian monk in Bulgaria called Brother Nikanor, is advising his distressed former colleagues to put a jar of dirt on their desk as a reminder of where we’re all heading and what matters in life. As banks fail, New York churches are reporting higher attendance at lunch-hour services, especially among people in suits. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week