OOD DAY FOR: Making crime pay, after Las Vegas announced plans to open a museum dedicated to the area's storied history with organized crime. Organizers say The [redacted] Museum could draw 800,000 visitors a year. At the unveiling of the museum plan, City Council members handed out T-shirts with the logo: "There is no such thing as a mob museum nor have I ever been there." (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: A recession, after the American Farm Bureau Federation reported that a basket of 16 basic food items costs 10.5 percent more than it did a year ago. Food prices are rising because of increasing raw ingredient, energy, and packaging costs. The biggest price gains were for potatoes, cheddar cheese, and apples; the price of large eggs and bacon fell. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week