OOD DAY FOR: Making crime pay, after Las Vegas announced plans to open a museum dedicated to the area's storied history with organized crime. Organizers say The [redacted] Museum could draw 800,000 visitors a year. At the unveiling of the museum plan, City Council members handed out T-shirts with the logo: "There is no such thing as a mob museum nor have I ever been there." (AP in USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: A recession, after the American Farm Bureau Federation reported that a basket of 16 basic food items costs 10.5 percent more than it did a year ago. Food prices are rising because of increasing raw ingredient, energy, and packaging costs. The biggest price gains were for potatoes, cheddar cheese, and apples; the price of large eggs and bacon fell. (MarketWatch)
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- The hotel of enlightenment
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week