GOOD DAY FOR: Deep breaths, after the VIX index, an index of investor fear, ended Monday at a record high of 52.02, after hitting 58.24 earlier in the trading session. The VIX never closed above 46 in the last bear market, which lasted until 2002. On Monday morning, “Mad Money” host Jim Cramer urged investors to take their money from the stock market before they lose more. (Los Angeles Times)
BAD DAY FOR: Richard Fuld, as the Lehman Brothers CEO’s testimony before Congress was accompanied by a CNBC report that somebody at the company gym attacked him last month. Citing “two very senior sources,” journalist Vicki Ward said that on Sept. 21, after Lehman had filed for bankruptcy, a man had put down his weights, approached Fuld on his treadmill, and knocked him out cold. (The Daily Telegraph)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week