ohn McCain did a good job in Tuesday's presidential debate, said Dick Morris and Eileen McGann in the New York Post, but it wasn’t enough. He’s nine points down in the polls, and he needed to explain how Barack Obama’s economic policies “will crush the economy.”
There’s a reason McCain couldn’t do that, said Derrick Jackson in The Boston Globe. As Obama said, McCain doesn’t “understand” the financial world, and the Republican “essentially conceded that Obama is getting better advice on the economy" when he said Obama supporter Warren Buffett would make a good Treasury secretary.
Both presidential candidates could stand to brush up on economics, said The Washington Post in an editorial. Their proposals were largely the same as the ones they’ve been peddling for months. Neither seems to have "come to grips" with the fact that the next president will face new limitations thanks to the meltdown.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Poll: Twice as many Americans say sugar is more harmful than marijuana
- The FDA just approved a high-tech tiara to prevent migraines, without drugs
Subscribe to the Week