ohn McCain did a good job in Tuesday's presidential debate, said Dick Morris and Eileen McGann in the New York Post, but it wasn’t enough. He’s nine points down in the polls, and he needed to explain how Barack Obama’s economic policies “will crush the economy.”
There’s a reason McCain couldn’t do that, said Derrick Jackson in The Boston Globe. As Obama said, McCain doesn’t “understand” the financial world, and the Republican “essentially conceded that Obama is getting better advice on the economy" when he said Obama supporter Warren Buffett would make a good Treasury secretary.
Both presidential candidates could stand to brush up on economics, said The Washington Post in an editorial. Their proposals were largely the same as the ones they’ve been peddling for months. Neither seems to have "come to grips" with the fact that the next president will face new limitations thanks to the meltdown.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- The executioners' lament
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Homeland recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week