ohn McCain did a good job in Tuesday's presidential debate, said Dick Morris and Eileen McGann in the New York Post, but it wasn’t enough. He’s nine points down in the polls, and he needed to explain how Barack Obama’s economic policies “will crush the economy.”
There’s a reason McCain couldn’t do that, said Derrick Jackson in The Boston Globe. As Obama said, McCain doesn’t “understand” the financial world, and the Republican “essentially conceded that Obama is getting better advice on the economy" when he said Obama supporter Warren Buffett would make a good Treasury secretary.
Both presidential candidates could stand to brush up on economics, said The Washington Post in an editorial. Their proposals were largely the same as the ones they’ve been peddling for months. Neither seems to have "come to grips" with the fact that the next president will face new limitations thanks to the meltdown.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
Subscribe to the Week