Esquire has named Halle Berry its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2008, said Anna Chan in MSNBC, and “I certainly can’t argue with that.” She looks great—and “sprang back into perfect form after welcoming baby Nahla!”—and is talented and smart as well.
And she was a gracious winner, said Brigid Brown in Hollywood.com. The actress said every woman deserves to be a nominee at any moment. But the ones who’ll really appreciate this are women turning 40. Berry, at 42, is living proof that “it’s not all downhill” when you pass that “nerve-wracking” birthday.
At the risk of stating the obvious, said the blog Popoholic, the title rightfully belongs to Angelina Jolie. But there is no question that Berry is in the top 15, if not the top 10, alongside Esquire’s last two winners, fellow movie stars Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johansson. And she “does deserves some sort of recognition” for looking this good at 42 and after just giving birth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
Subscribe to the Week