Esquire has named Halle Berry its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2008, said Anna Chan in MSNBC, and “I certainly can’t argue with that.” She looks great—and “sprang back into perfect form after welcoming baby Nahla!”—and is talented and smart as well.
And she was a gracious winner, said Brigid Brown in Hollywood.com. The actress said every woman deserves to be a nominee at any moment. But the ones who’ll really appreciate this are women turning 40. Berry, at 42, is living proof that “it’s not all downhill” when you pass that “nerve-wracking” birthday.
At the risk of stating the obvious, said the blog Popoholic, the title rightfully belongs to Angelina Jolie. But there is no question that Berry is in the top 15, if not the top 10, alongside Esquire’s last two winners, fellow movie stars Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johansson. And she “does deserves some sort of recognition” for looking this good at 42 and after just giving birth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- As deadly skin cancer rates keep climbing, surgeon general says to stop tanning and wear sunscreen
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
Subscribe to the Week