Esquire has named Halle Berry its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2008, said Anna Chan in MSNBC, and “I certainly can’t argue with that.” She looks great—and “sprang back into perfect form after welcoming baby Nahla!”—and is talented and smart as well.
And she was a gracious winner, said Brigid Brown in Hollywood.com. The actress said every woman deserves to be a nominee at any moment. But the ones who’ll really appreciate this are women turning 40. Berry, at 42, is living proof that “it’s not all downhill” when you pass that “nerve-wracking” birthday.
At the risk of stating the obvious, said the blog Popoholic, the title rightfully belongs to Angelina Jolie. But there is no question that Berry is in the top 15, if not the top 10, alongside Esquire’s last two winners, fellow movie stars Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johansson. And she “does deserves some sort of recognition” for looking this good at 42 and after just giving birth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week