Esquire has named Halle Berry its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2008, said Anna Chan in MSNBC, and “I certainly can’t argue with that.” She looks great—and “sprang back into perfect form after welcoming baby Nahla!”—and is talented and smart as well.
And she was a gracious winner, said Brigid Brown in Hollywood.com. The actress said every woman deserves to be a nominee at any moment. But the ones who’ll really appreciate this are women turning 40. Berry, at 42, is living proof that “it’s not all downhill” when you pass that “nerve-wracking” birthday.
At the risk of stating the obvious, said the blog Popoholic, the title rightfully belongs to Angelina Jolie. But there is no question that Berry is in the top 15, if not the top 10, alongside Esquire’s last two winners, fellow movie stars Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johansson. And she “does deserves some sort of recognition” for looking this good at 42 and after just giving birth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week