Esquire has named Halle Berry its Sexiest Woman Alive for 2008, said Anna Chan in MSNBC, and “I certainly can’t argue with that.” She looks great—and “sprang back into perfect form after welcoming baby Nahla!”—and is talented and smart as well.
And she was a gracious winner, said Brigid Brown in Hollywood.com. The actress said every woman deserves to be a nominee at any moment. But the ones who’ll really appreciate this are women turning 40. Berry, at 42, is living proof that “it’s not all downhill” when you pass that “nerve-wracking” birthday.
At the risk of stating the obvious, said the blog Popoholic, the title rightfully belongs to Angelina Jolie. But there is no question that Berry is in the top 15, if not the top 10, alongside Esquire’s last two winners, fellow movie stars Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johansson. And she “does deserves some sort of recognition” for looking this good at 42 and after just giving birth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week