ome of California’s best known chefs have restaurants in the wine country of Napa and Sonoma valleys, said Sara Deseran, Ray Isle, and Kate Krader in Food & Wine. They range from “an excellent burger joint” to a swank dining room in a resort. Here are the best:
Thomas Keller, “one of the world’s great chefs,” opened this casual spot with the intention of turning it into a high-class burger joint later on. “But the family-style restaurant became too popular to give up.” Monday night’s buttermilk fried chicken is simply awesome. 6476 Washington St., (707) 944-2487
Farm at the Carneros Inn
New chef Jeffrey Jake presides over this secluded, 27-acre property in Napa. Using only ingredients from within 150 miles of the restaurant, Jake creates dishes like a tuna carpaccio topped with beets and tiny bits of crispy potatoes. After dinner, guests can play boules, the traditional French bowling game. 4048 Sonoma Hwy., (707) 299-4880
Healdsburg Bar & Grill
Doug Keane of Healdsburg’s famous Cyrus restaurant has taken over this longtime hangout on the town square. The burger with “just funky enough truffle fries” is especially good. 245 Healdsburg Ave., (707) 433-3333
The Restaurant at Meadowood
This well-known resort recently has been remodeled. Chef Christopher Kostow’s menu includes Tomales Bay oysters encrusted in rye bread crumbs, and such imaginative dishes as candied satsuma orange wedges topped with panna cotta. 900 Meadowood Lane, (707) 967-1205
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week