Christian Slater has a tendency to get into trouble, says Marshall Sella in GQ. “It seems I fall into the ‘I’m special’ category,” says the 39-year-old actor. His troubles began in 1989 when, after leading police on a car chase through West Hollywood, he crashed into a telephone pole. He then kicked the arresting officers with his cowboy boots. In 1994, Slater was nailed for trying to check a loaded gun onto an airplane. “That’s just fantasyland delusional thinking—a James Bond mentality,” he says. “I was looking for an identity. I figured I should be a guy who has guns.” His worst fracas took place in 1997. Reportedly high on alcohol, coke, and heroin, Slater bit a man’s ear. Fleeing the scene, he ran into a cop and tried to grab his gun. “One of the low self-worth points of my existence,” he says wearily. “There’s no question I’m very fortunate to be alive.” Today, after a stint in rehab to kick cocaine and alcohol dependencies, Slater still has his moments. In 2004, he was bounced from a London strip club after refusing to take off a Richard Nixon mask that was disturbing the dancers. Three years ago, while arguing with his then-girlfriend, he wound up groping a 52-year-old woman. “I don’t want to leave you with the idea that this is the culmination of my life,” he says of his many altercations. “They’re an infinitesimal part of my experiences.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week