Armed soccer mom
A Pennsylvania mother has won the right to carry a gun to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer games. Melanie Hain’s concealed-weapon permit had been revoked after other parents complained. But this week Judge Robert Eby ruled that Hain’s Second Amendment rights had been breached and returned the permit. Hain said she’d resume going to games armed. “I’m certainly not looking to shoot anyone over a goal,” she said.
Hello, my name is CutoutDissection.com
A North Carolina woman is legally changing her name to CutoutDissection.com to publicize the plight of the dead animals used in high school biology classes. CutoutDissection.com, 19, formerly known as Jennifer Thornburg, admits that “I normally do have to repeat my name several times when I am introducing myself,” but that it’s a price she’s willing to pay. “These animals suffer so much greater than I can ever suffer by getting my name changed.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- A lesson for America from MH17: Don't arm the Syrian rebels
Subscribe to the Week