Armed soccer mom
A Pennsylvania mother has won the right to carry a gun to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer games. Melanie Hain’s concealed-weapon permit had been revoked after other parents complained. But this week Judge Robert Eby ruled that Hain’s Second Amendment rights had been breached and returned the permit. Hain said she’d resume going to games armed. “I’m certainly not looking to shoot anyone over a goal,” she said.
Hello, my name is CutoutDissection.com
A North Carolina woman is legally changing her name to CutoutDissection.com to publicize the plight of the dead animals used in high school biology classes. CutoutDissection.com, 19, formerly known as Jennifer Thornburg, admits that “I normally do have to repeat my name several times when I am introducing myself,” but that it’s a price she’s willing to pay. “These animals suffer so much greater than I can ever suffer by getting my name changed.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week