Armed soccer mom
A Pennsylvania mother has won the right to carry a gun to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer games. Melanie Hain’s concealed-weapon permit had been revoked after other parents complained. But this week Judge Robert Eby ruled that Hain’s Second Amendment rights had been breached and returned the permit. Hain said she’d resume going to games armed. “I’m certainly not looking to shoot anyone over a goal,” she said.
Hello, my name is CutoutDissection.com
A North Carolina woman is legally changing her name to CutoutDissection.com to publicize the plight of the dead animals used in high school biology classes. CutoutDissection.com, 19, formerly known as Jennifer Thornburg, admits that “I normally do have to repeat my name several times when I am introducing myself,” but that it’s a price she’s willing to pay. “These animals suffer so much greater than I can ever suffer by getting my name changed.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week