Armed soccer mom
A Pennsylvania mother has won the right to carry a gun to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer games. Melanie Hain’s concealed-weapon permit had been revoked after other parents complained. But this week Judge Robert Eby ruled that Hain’s Second Amendment rights had been breached and returned the permit. Hain said she’d resume going to games armed. “I’m certainly not looking to shoot anyone over a goal,” she said.
Hello, my name is CutoutDissection.com
A North Carolina woman is legally changing her name to CutoutDissection.com to publicize the plight of the dead animals used in high school biology classes. CutoutDissection.com, 19, formerly known as Jennifer Thornburg, admits that “I normally do have to repeat my name several times when I am introducing myself,” but that it’s a price she’s willing to pay. “These animals suffer so much greater than I can ever suffer by getting my name changed.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week