Ice chunk explodes through ceiling
A Pennsylvania woman was asleep in her bed last week when a large chunk of ice exploded through the ceiling and hit her on the forehead. Mary Ann Foster, 66, was left with a large lump, and said that she could easily have been killed if the projectile hadn’t broken into pieces as it passed through the roof of her house. Authorities say the ice, which Foster saved in her freezer, likely fell from a passing plane, but Foster isn’t so sure. “There is a little fish smell to it,” she says. “Which is weird.”
No more fan mail says Ringo Starr
Ringo Starr says he has read his last piece of fan mail. In a videotaped rant on his website last week, the former Beatles drummer announced that letters from fans received after Oct. 19 would be thrown in the trash without being opened. Mail postmarked Oct. 20 or later “is gonna be tossed,” said Starr. “I’m warning you, with peace and love, but I have too much to do. So no more fan mail. And no more objects to be signed. Nothing.”
Baby conceived while father sleeps
A Canadian man is insisting that he should not pay child support on the grounds that he was asleep when he and his ex-girlfriend conceived a baby. The unnamed man told a court this week that he was visiting the woman in 2006 when he awoke in the middle of the night to find her having sex with him. He says he demanded that she “cease and desist,” but nine months later she gave birth, allegedly causing the father serious “mental distress” for which he now wants compensation.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week