Fall in New Hampshire
Through Oct. 22, Dana Place Inn in Jackson, N.H., offers a two-night package, starting at $389 for two. Includes meals and a scenic railroad ride through White Mountain National Forest.
A Santa Monica return
Santa Monica’s Shangri-La hotel, built in 1939, has reopened after a $30 million renovation. Through Dec. 31, ocean-view rooms start at $265 for a deluxe room and $345 for a one-bedroom suite.
Winter tee in Wales
Through March 2009, Celtic Manor Resort in Newport, South Wales, offers 18 holes of golf on the course that will host the 2010 Ryder Cup. Rates start at $210 per double and include full Welsh breakfasts.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week