OOD DAY FOR: Grinches, after the Virginia mall Tysons Corner Center abruptly fired its Santa Clause of 17 years. After hundreds of complaints and boycott threats, the mall said it would try to rehire the Santa, Michael Graham, in another capacity or give him a financial settlement. Graham earned about $30,000 for five seven-day weeks of work. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: A Maine squeeze, as the price of Maine lobster has fallen sharply in recent months. Maine lobstermen, who provide 80 percent of the U.S. catch, were already feeling pain from pinched diners choosing cheaper menu items. Now they are also dealing with oversupply exacerbated by credit problems at Canadian processors. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Battle in a blizzard
- The secrets of happy families
- Did God have a wife?
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week